Thursday, June 28, 2007

MySpace, courage, and an amazing young Marine

My buddy RJ is a Navy doc in Iraq. He's been volunteering at the base CSH ER to help out. He wrote this incredible story the other day.

Working in the hospital has been an amazing experience for me. I get to help Iraqi and American Marines and Soldiers and keep my clinical and emergency skills sharp, but sometimes the best lessons I learn through the stories that come out of that place - stories of strength and hope.

A young Marine was critically injured in an IED blast a few days ago. This Marine lived to serve his country. (The doctors found his dog tags, social security number and blood type tattooed on his chest.) He lost both of his legs and one of his arms in the explosion and was in a coma for a few days before eventually coming to in the ICU. He was unable to talk, but gestured for a pen and paper. He scribbled on the paper with his left hand as best he could a name and a password.

The doctors and nurses looked confused. He then took a second piece of paper and wrote “This is my user name and password. Can you please log on to my My Space Profile and create a posting for me saying that it’s going to take a lot more than that to kill me!” Unbelievable. His next sentence was “I lost both of my legs didn’t I?”

This young man's life has changed forever, and he will face challenges that most of us can't even begin to comprehend. But I have a feeeling that he's going to make it through.

May God Bless you and keep you, my young friend. Thank you for your courage, your sacrifice and your inspiration to the rest of us.

-Rog

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home